Black Theater Rising
PassinArt exists because of the historical tradition of Black theatre in the United States. It is essential to acknowledge Black theatre companies who came before us and honor their resilience, creativity, and innovation.
- 1800s The African Company / African Grove Theater
- 1920s National Colored Plays
- 1930s Federal Theatre Project
- 1940s American Negro Theatre
- 1960s Negro Ensemble Company
- 1960s The National Black Theatre
- 1960s Black Arts Repertory Theatre in Harlem
- 1970s Portland Black Repertory Theatre
- 1980s Portland Sojourner Truth Theatre Company
Today, PassinArt provides a platform for emerging and experienced African American and multicultural artists to share their craft and talents with diverse audiences.